1827 to 1926

The following is a list of some of the more ‘interesting’ events to have happened to the Meeting House and users during this period.

Feb 1830            Efforts to improve the heating of the Meeting House.

1835            Painting and colouring of the Meeting House.

1842            Outside painted and pointed for £13 18s 4d.

Nov 1843            New stove recommended.

Jan 1845            Cost of new stove, painting and general repairs £48.

Mar 1859            Consideration given to placing gates at the entrance to the graveyard and renewing paths with gravel. A map to be made with the position of each grave.

Apr 1859            A letter from Richard Radcliffe ‘Will your Society do me the favour to accept the few trees and shrubs, I have taken the liberty to plant in your Meeting House yard. I occasionally walk in the yard when open and they will be slight acknowledgement for that liberty”.

Feb 1863            Alterations carried out for warming the women’s end of the Meeting House.

Apr 1864            White-washing and repairs to the Meeting House.

Nov 1865           Gas introduced to the Meeting House at a cost of:  £15 10s 0d.

Mar 1866            A committee appointed to: “consider the best mode of obviating the inconvenience arising from the present state of the seats and woodwork”. In April it was decided to get the backs of the forms covered.

Jun 1866             Necessity for stripping and recovering the Meeting House. This work, with repairs to the roof completed July 1867.

Mar 1868            Richard Webster and Charles Bennington asked to examine the state of the wall dividing the burial ground from Paradise St. and also into the terms of the agreement made with the corporation for placing a lamp thereon.

Feb 1869           State of the Meeting House walls examined.

Dec 1869           The stove found not to heat the Meeting House sufficiently. A new one installed for £7.

Aug 1877            Tender for painting outside woodwork of the Meeting House £316s 0d.

1892            Re-pointing of the slates and a new stove at a cost of: £14 5s 6d. (£10 taken from Richard Shackletons legacy of £100).

1893            The Meeting House decorated for £30. (a further £10 taken from Shackleton legacy).

Jan  1900           Quarterly Meeting gives £16 towards cost of repairs.

Apr  1908           Concern expressed at total inadequacy of the Meeting House for the active work now being carried out there. An appeal made to Quarterly Meeting stating: “the heating appliances are very unsatisfactory and out of date. The sanitary arrangements are the same as in 1824, and abutting as they do, on private dwelling houses are liable at any time to be condemned by the local authorities. The only cloakroom for women and men Friends is, at present, the open passage between the large and small meeting rooms. The main building requires a considerable amount of both internal and external renovation. The estimated cost of these repairs is £350”. Quarterly Meeting gave the go ahead to proceed with the installation of heating apparatus and to take into consideration the necessity which will in consequence arise for the provision of arrangements for the heating of water for cooking and cleaning purposes.

1909            Frederick Stansfield reported: “As usual the original estimates have been greatly exceeded, mostly from unexpected causes. The whole of the drains on the premises have had to be taken up and re-laid. To make more room in the large Meeting House we had to take down the minister’s gallery putting in a new floor at that end of the room, and a considerable amount of repairs has been found necessary both to the building and to the boundary walls. Unfortunately there are further repairs which are urgently necessary and nothing has been done in the way of decoration”. In the end it cost £586 15s 8d of which £123 9s 8d was given by Quarterly Meeting, £100 by Hardshaw Estates £109 4s 0d by Preston Monthly Meeting, £118 14s 6d by Meetings outside the Quarterly Meeting. Estimates, contracts and detailed accounts of all the work done are available. The hourly rate for plasterers and joiners was 9d, for plumbers 11d and for labourers 7d.

Oct 1921            Decision to install electric light done in Jan 1922.

Jan 1922            Painting and repairs needed: to be kept within £ 80.

Sep 1922           The premises committee wanted to close the burial ground, but Richard Whittaker adamant that he wanted to be buried there. Frederick Stansfield resigned from the committee. These 2 worthies were fighting over the last burial plot. Richard Whittaker got his wish in the end.

Feb 1923            Premises Committee authorise William, Grimshaw to paint the walls of the Meeting House in a shade of primrose and to clean and varnish the woodwork of the wainscot, ceilings and window frames. Radiators to be capped by wood and a suitable beading so that the paintwork could be thereby protected. Installation of a Carless firegrate in B room before painting done.

Jan 1924            Jackson Boiler installed in kitchen.

Jul 1925              Provision of linoleum for Room B which will deaden the sound of moving chairs etc. in the primary department during the hours of morning meeting, Low chairs provided for this room.

Sep 1925            Premises committee report: “The fact that the founding of our primary department following on the separate gathering of children during morning meeting period has resulted in an acute need for additional classroom accommodation to facilitate the careful grading so essential to successful primary work. At the present time 3 separate classes are meeting in our only small room. Also the premises are being used by 3 Adult Schools, men, women and young people, a class of the last named vigorous and promising group having had to meet In the kitchen without seating accommodation and Committees having had to meet in the women’s cloakroom. The Premises Committee consider an extension quite feasible at the N. E. end of the building where there is a space already enclosed by 3 walls and provision for a fireplace with good chimney flue”. Charles Haigh an architect of Preston was consulted and proposals laid before Quarterly Meeting.

Jun 1926            The necessity for 2 stories, as originally proposed, for the, extension has been strongly urged in this Meeting and It Is desired that every effort should be made to secure such.

Nov 1926            Quarterly Meeting sets aside £300, of which £16 deducted as architects fee, Architect is Lawrence Wilson of Manchester with Corder Catchpool in charge locally.